TPIE Road Show: It's Education on the Go!
Held in conjunction with FNGLA's Tropical Plant Industry Exhibition (TPIE) each January, TPIE's Workshops links industry professional seeking top-quality educational programming with the programs they need to increase their knowledge. The program offers a strong focus for the Interiorscape Industry. Attendees gain insight on the latest trends and innovations in design, sales and customer service.
Now Better than Ever: TPIE offers Education on the Go!
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Choose from one of two creatively designed tours with both classroom instruction and on-the-go training. Attendees will start their day in the classroom to learn how to enhance their designs and marketing skills. The groups will then board the bus for a fun-filled and educational tour. Ticket is required and lunch will be included in both tours. Regsiter before the January 5 deadline for $120 for the day. After January 5, tickets are $150.
Start your day with learning! Tom Shay, Profits Plus, will provide insight on where the customer is in the marketplace today. Hear how garden centers can sell more plants when they take their eyes off the sale and focus on the customers’ needs.
Then, Internationally known for his work in garden center and retail nursery design and space planning, Ernest Wertheim, Wertheim/van der Ploeg & Klemeyer will take attendees for a walk through a garden center before you get on the bus. From the entrance to the checkout, Ernest will share successful ways to lay out a store and tips and lessons learned from his many years of industry experience.
Then, take lessons into action! Once “on the go," attendees will visit three local garden centers:
- Since 1996, Flamingo Road Nursery has provided a friendly and knowledgeable staff and a full line of plants, pottery, and garden accessories. Featured at this stop will be event planning. Hear how adding a Harvest Festival to their fall season has made it the most profitable time of year for them. Special sessions on event planning and the care and handling of plant deliveries will take place here.
- Living Color Garden Center has been serving the South Florida community since 1990, and offers 5 acres of plants, outdoor seating, garden supplies and accessories to beautify home and gardens. Living Color’s team will share with attendees some unique ways to display plants which can result in increased sales and offer their customers creative ideas to use in their garden centers.
- Don’t miss the last stop of the day: attendees will see how the GardenWorks team has repurposed a corner gas station transforming the space into a successful garden center. Offering a great selection of native and exotic plants, garden supplies and garden services to local residents and business owners alike, their goal is to provide the best customer service. A special grower showcase will be offered at this stop.
Interiorscape Road Show attendees will start their day with Dr. James DelPrince, Mississippi State University. He will cover innovative marketing and design ideas for work spaces and special events.
Then, Kathryn O’Donnell, Botanicus Interior Landscaping will provide a vision for the future of interior landscape.
Equipped with this new knowledge, attendees will hop on the bus and take these lessons into action visiting Homestead area nurseries, the first step in creating stellar interiorscape projects.
- Farm Life Tropical Foliage was founded in 1985 on five acres of land in the heart of the Redlands district in South Florida. Today, Farm Life’s production area is 18.5 acres of shadehouses, 10 acres of marl field and three acres of large trees and palms in in-ground grow bags. As one of the favorite stops on TPIE’s Road Show, attendees will hear about their in-house pest management program. You'll leave with a better understanding of what it takes to consistently grow and ship top-notch material.
- Plants in Design has been in continuous operation for more than 25 years utilizing state of the art greenhouses, computerized irrigation systems and robotics. In fact, Plants in Design may be the most technologically advanced facility of its type. Through on-going communication with hybridizers and laboratories worldwide, their goal is to respond to customers’ requests for timely access to new hybrid varieties with distinctive look of novel colors
2014 TPIE Road Show Images:
Please note that hotel shuttle transportation will not available on Tuesday, January 20. If you would like to attend the tour and are without ground transportation, we recommend that you stay at the following hotels which are a short walking distance from the convention center: Extended Stay America - 17th Street; Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale - 17th Street; Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina; Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone looking to gain insight on the latest trends and innovations in design, sales and customer service such as interiorscape professionals.
Continuing Education Units
- FNGLA Certified Horticulture Professional (FCHP)
- FNGLA Certified Landscape Contractor, Technician & Designer (FCLC, FCLT, FCLMT, FCLD)
- CEU's are generally applied for from the following programs:
- PLANET Certifications
- Pesticide Applicator License
- Landscape Inspector's Association of Florida
- Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD)
For more details on the TPIE Short Course, contact FNGLA's Linda Reindl or call 800.375.3642.