A landscape project two years in the making to beautify a Gainesville pet care clinic got a big boost over the finish line Aug. 10, thanks to a host of FNGLA landscape and nursery industry members and local high school students.
Nearly a dozen nursery and landscape professionals from the Gainesville-based Frontrunners Chapter of the Florida, Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association overhauled the exterior of the Saint Francis Pet Care clinic's new location, clearing land, installing irrigation pipes and trimming trees, according to Stefan Liopiros of Big Trees Nursery, who serves as a longtime FNGLA Frontrunners chapter member.
Student volunteers included local FFA members from Williston and Santa Fe high schools, according to Liopiros.
Founded in 2007, St. Francis is a volunteer-run non-profit which offers free pet care and supplies to low-income Alachua County residents, according to the organization's website.
"Within a long, full day of work, St. Francis Pet Care landscaping went from dreary to cheery and welcoming," Liopiros said.
Officials for St. Francis also posted a touching display of gratitude Tuesday to the clinic's Facebook page.
"We know our clients will love having such a nice place to relax and wait for their appointments now!" the post read.
Liopiros added the project could not have been complete without the support of more than a dozen local FNGLA member businesses and others which donated supplies. Those included:
- Site One Landscape Supply - donated lunch and all the irrigation for the project.
- Tropic Traditions - donated plants
- Landscapes Unlimited - donated plants and labor
- Steve Moog - donated plants
- Half Moon - donated plants
- Salmons Nursery - donated plants and labor
- Three Volcanoes - donated plants
- Things That Grow - donated the large pindo palm
- Blooming House - donated pine bark mulch
- Joe's Nursery - donated plants
- Lawn Enforcement Agency - donated pavers
- A Beautiful Yard - installed pavers
- Bryce Burger Landscape - donated labor
- Big Trees Plantation - donated landscape design, performed demo, installed irrigation, donated plants, rocks
- Ellenton Growers - donated the use of dump trailer
- Rock Solid Stone Supply - donated cypress mulch